There’s just something extra special about cooking in season; the produce tastes better, the colors are more vivid, and I love that what’s on the table reflects what’s going on holiday, weather, and temperature-wise.
This is one of those dishes- it’s tasty and has a little bit of kick, but the flavors of the spinach, squash, and sweet sausage are a perfect autumnal medley.
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 1 bunch spinach, stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place a squash half, cut side down, in a large, microwavable dish. Add 1/2 cup water and microwave until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining squash half. Discard the seeds. Using a fork, comb the squash into strands into a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Add the spinach and crushed red pepper and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes; season with salt and black pepper. Serve on top of the squash.
- If serving individual portions, ladle out two spoons into squash halves.