During winter, there’s nothing more comforting than a cup of hot cocoa.
Of course, that can only be improved by a couple of additions, such as whipped cream and peppermint. Double-boiling the milk (a tip I acquired from Jacques Torres, the acclaimed “Mr.Chocolate”) makes the cocoa rich and velvety, perfect for sipping in front of a roaring fire.
- 4 cups milk
- 5 heaping tablespoons good quality cocoa
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 peppermint candies
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- Whipped Cream
- Stir all ingredients besides for whipped cream and three peppermint candies in pot on a medium flame.
- When the sugar and cocoa have dissolved, turn the flame up to a boil.
- Once the cocoa has boiled, turn down to a low flame, and stir for a minute. Then boil for a second time.
- When done boiling, remove from flame. Pour cocoa into two mugs. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Crush remaining three candies and sprinkle on top of whipped cream.